06 June, 2006

miscellany: houseboats :)

A houseboat might be fun to try- not at sea, but maybe in a lake or pond.

There's a roomy (sleeps up to 10 people!) cabin type fiberglass boat here.
Some beautiful vessels here, though the @!#%$! would require me to look into financing- not really an option, given my credit history. Unless someone wants to give me $350,000 plus the additional amount needed to bring said houseboat to MA...

(Not to mention the additional $1,000,000 or so needed for a nice sized plot of land that happens to have a reasonable amount of suitable waterfront property. Er, and qualify for a mortgage. *ahem*)

Which leaves out the two manufacturers above, and pretty much any of the custom houseboat manufacturers. I'd be hard pressed to find a lender for a Big Wheel, much less a boat.

Though given enough time and money, I might be able to hobble together something like this with the right plans.

(Side note: "The American Boy's Handy Book"-- it's been a number of years since I flipped through it, but it included several different boat plans. Nothing I'd feel safe having as the family domicile, but shy of financing a boat, it'd probably be the only way I could afford a seafaring vessel at the moment.)

(Looks like the down payment on a boat loan is similar to the down payment on undeveloped land- 20-25%. No, not that I'm seriously considering buying a new or used boat, but sometimes I like to let strange notions wander around a little.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home